The Cappella di San Petronio is the oldest musical institution of Bologna. It was founded in 1436 and for five centuries it has been responsible for the musical celebrations in the Basilica, becoming, between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, one of the most important centres for sacred music, thanks to the skill of great musicians.
The Cappella was re-established thirty years ago with the intention of exploiting the priceless musical heritage made up of the works by Bolognese composers which are held in large quantities in the huge archive annexed to the Basilica. Since then, hundreds of unpublished scores have been rediscovered, studied, transcribed and made available again to today’s audiences through performance during the liturgy, concerts and recordings.
At present, the Cappella comprises a stable body of solo singers, choir and organists, to which an orchestra with Early Music instruments is added for the main feast days and for concerts.